Over the last month or two, I’ve had some unexpected/weird problems building my Haskell projects on Linux – all of a sudden the project would fail to compile fairly innocuous requirements (that had up until that time compiled just fine) and I was very confused. It turns out a change to how the ` Thanks to some users on Github (mkoloberdin offered the workaround and pera noted the commit that likely caused the issue), figured out a fix that seems more permanent.
tl;dr - I had to SSH tunnel with a proxy computer in the middle due to some weird ISP restrictions/regular OpenVPN not working properly for me. Basically the setup is to SSH tunnel from one machine to another, and run another tunnel on the proxy computer. I used this surprisingly low latency setup to run a SOCKS5 proxy that did the job. “Remote Port Forwarding” is what I was doing, and a super awesome blog post helped show me the way.
tl;dr - My setup of Docker on Arch Linux is having some issues, around docker0 not properly holding on to it’s IPV4 addresses (listed as inet in ip addr output). I originally though it was a problem with Alpine CDNs, but it was actually docker0 throwing up repeatedly. Short term work around I’ve found is to just create the missing link again, w/ sudo ip addr add 172.17.0.1⁄16 dev docker0.
Working with PDFs on arch linux tldr; If you’re on arch, not all hope is lost when trying to deal with PDFs. pdfunite is out there for combining PDFs, Firefox is surprisingly helpful since is uses pdf.js, pdftk is there if you’re down with downloading the dependencies, convert is available for paring down scanned images, and ultimately, any software you can run on ubuntu can run on arch with a little docker.
Default Docker settings on ArchLinux RTFM. Seriously. The Arch Wiki is seriously one of the most informative wikis I’ve ever read, and has excellent guides. If I had read it closer, I would have avoided one problem I’m about to explain below. Change the default filesystem While running on a VPS, I ran into problems deleting containers that were once functional when I was using the default devicemapper driver. The fix for this was simple (and also in the arch manual), and basically consisted of changing the default file system driver to overlayfs.
Moving from catalyst/fglrx to AMDGPU This is a post I wrote a while back, that also got cross-posted on a github issue, detailing my struggles replacing catalyst/fglrx with AMDGPU on arch linux. Thought I should leave a copy of it here, just in case Github dissappears one day. Note this post is basically a copy-pasta of the Github issue response (which is a copy pasta of what I wrote down).
Setting up a systemd service that runs a docker container This post is one I wrote a while back but never published, as I’ve found some free time now, I’m going through and putting together posts that I jotted down but never got to publishing. After setting up my new KVM-enabled VPS, getting the database and initial docker setup all taken care of, and running once (manually starting all the services and docker containers), I looked to make the configuration restart-resistant.
tldr; I wrote a small script in python to use alsa command line tools to change the volume on my headset. A tool already exists that if faster and more robust. I should switch, but will I? who knows :). I own and (mostly) happily use a Logitech G930:
While the support under linux is pretty good already (most buttons work, and perform their intended functions), I recently got fed up with the fact that the little scroll wheel on the G930 wasn’t actually changing the volume.
When I first set up my current desktop, I spent some time looking around for a new linux distribution to choose and try out. At the time I was impressed with the look and UX of Linux Mint, and decided to give it a try. At that time (I think this is no longer true), Linux Mint couldn’t do kernel updates in-place (you had to re-install the entire OS from LiveCD).
Welcome to first (of hopefully many) entries about my adventures using Arch Linux, which will most likely consist of me breaking things, then looking at documentation, then reading guides, then fixing the things I broke. Lots of things happened today (they’re going to be subjects of other blog posts), but one thing I just got through doing was creating a swap file for suspend-to-disk (hibernate) to use. Long story short, my phone died, and inbetween getting getting another one, my new laptop (which I like a lot) is going to be the only way I can keep in contact with people.