REST-ish Services in Haskell: Part 2

Part 2 of a series on how I write REST-ish web services in Haskell with a dash of robustness

vados

70 minute read

tl;dr - Work our way through some more type tomfoolery, domain modeling (w/ a light discussion of Domain Driven Design). Next a Component which can operate on the Task domain model, the TaskStore is introduced. Then the types “hit the road” and we build a partial implementation of a SQLiteTaskStore (with assistance from sqlite-simple). The code is available in the haskell-restish-todo repo, @ tag part-2.

REST-ish Services in Haskell: Part 1

Part 1 of a series on how I write REST-ish web services in Haskell with a dash of robustness

vados

49 minute read

tl;dr - A general tour through a bunch of patterns/strategies I use when developing robust-ish REST-ish web services with Haskell. This post boils down to using some approaches to getting creature comforts set up for your binary. If you want to go straight to the code, check out the gitlab repo @ tag part-1

Quick And Dirty Forward-Only DB Migrations

Quick and dirty forward-only migrations, in just a few lines of make & bash

vados

5 minute read

While working on the The Start (a now defunct project)’s jobs backend, I found myself at the age-old problem of how to migrate my database (which is surprisingly SQLite). I looked at tools like flyway, migrate, but they all kind of seemed like more than I needed. If anything I was leaning towards migrate, but flyway is a very well-known and often used solution that it was also pretty appealing. In the end, I decided to just write a quick makefile target (basically a bash script) for a few…

Adding Cookie Based Auth To Servant

Some commentary on the experience adding Cookie based authentication for a Servant API

vados

10 minute read

One of the applications I’ve been working on exclusively lately is a surprisingly large Job Board application. Not the most exciting concept, I know, but it’s quickly becoming the culmination of some of the best development (and consequently “engineering”) work that I’ve ever done. The codebase is growing huge – 11,000+ lines counting both front and backend code, and while I haven’t gone on any large refactoring sprees, most of the code does not make me…