Breaking stuff in production
Well, somehow with all the testing I did on the local build, a part of the code I haven’t given thought to for weeks has broken everything in production!Luckily I was able to find the problem, but there is no doubt that a lot of people visited the site and nothing worked as it was supposed to. For that, I apologize. The ease of using the demo account and registering/using the service was something I prided myself on, but I totally failed at that with the 0.
Configr.io v0.1 Update
It’s a little weird to be actively working on a project and not be sure of the userbase, but I figured I should make at least a blog post about the updates I’ve been working on for my super simple service Configr.io! I’m happy to announce the release of a bunch of updates to Configr.io that were requested/sorely needed! During the days since configr.io launched, I’ve been working to add features, and fix bugs that were present, and those efforts have culminated in Confgir.
Launch of Configr.io
So every once in a while I shuffle around configurations that should be default (for the way I use things). One of these such configurations is my Emacs configurations files, as well as bashrc scripts or other useful scripts that I like to log around. I thought to myself that it would be great if a dead-simple service thought it would be a good idea to store these files for me, so that when I’m at a console without an x-server, or just don’t want to go hunt for files, I could easily remember a URL and either download some, or all of my configuration files and small scripts.
Building a small webapp on Iniz servers with nginx, nodejs, and postgresql
I’ve recently wanted to do some work with nodejs and see what the ecosystem is like. Of course, NodeJS is quite controversial and recent in it’s creation, and has both fanatical supporters and fanatical critics (like anything else worth looking at) — and I have yet to get real experience with it, so I am trying it out. As is always the case, the stack is a little bit complicated (not a simple NODEJS server, since that’s been done better than I could probably do it, w/ the Express package):
First Foray into web chat
Recently, I’ve been doing a lot of web stuff. “A lot” is an understatement, as I think about it, I’ve been working exclusively on projects that have to do with the web, or in some way are connected to HTML/CSS/JS/Some web framework. Though I know web programmers don’t get as much “rep” as other kinds that are writing compilers maybe, I think the instant utility (as well as gratification) of web apps is something not easily overlooked.
So, it looks like VAIPR’s first iteration is complete! At this point, the project succeeds (with the help of CMUSphinx) in listening and parsing speech continuously, and responding (as well as possibly displaying) responses to the queries on a screen — as well as speaking a verbal response. The project actually ended up being relatively simple (with the use of cmusphinx), so I didn’t have to worry about any signal processing, but there were some complications when designing the backend and thinking how I wanted the multi-threaded program to behave and how others should interface with it.
So, finally put a pin in my voice recognition adventures today. I’d been deciding between multiple different open source options: julius, cmusphinx, and simon(briefly). For my purposes, I really wanted as close to a silent API as I could get, so simon didn’t last long. Next I looked at Julius, which after a lot of twiddling, did finally work (I have a USB audio device — that caused a lot of problems, as well as some lack of clarity on how to set up language models for julius), but I ultimately scrapped because of the availability of documentation and language models for cmusphinx.
TideSDK is awesome.
So, I’ve recently been working with a tool (‘framework’, if you want to call it that) called TideSDK. To put it simply, it bring the more common (of course it’s not like Web 2.0 created this abstraction) Web 2.0 3-Tier application model to desktop apps. Disclaimer: I have been on a real web dev kick lately. I think it’s just a no-brainer kind of way to make a beautiful app without having to dive head-first into Qt/GTK+.
Working with TideSDK
So, I’ve been on a real web kick recently, with pretty much 100% of the new projects that I’m taking up (non-work related) are in the web development sphere. Of course, one can’t call themselves a purveyor of the wide world of Computer Science and be biased too firmly in any one field, so I decided to work on some projects that I’ve been throwing around in my head, that have desktop/non-web implementations.
Some minor updates made to Konvention
Trying to insert some data into Konvention today was great practice, and an eye-opener in regards to the use-case of the app. Number of clicks was relatively high (even taking into account that I know where everything is), so I’ll have to work on that soon. There were also some problems with Yii showing errors it shouldn’t (mysql errors, etc) — so I fixed that up. I added a bunch of Python best practices from some recent pages I ran across, also added a “Hide All” button to the recent activity page, and fixed up the snippet part of best practice submission.