• Stop Using React

    tl;dr The BSD + PATENTS.md pattern is not F/OSS. Facebook is trying to goad you into entering a mutually assured destruction patent stalemate, but you don’t have nukes. They do. Stop using React, there are other better alternatives. Before you get into my thoughts, maybe you’ll want to look at some other debate from other strangers on the internet: Discussion of Facebook’s explanation on HN Discussion on Apache Foundation banning use of React on Reddit

  • Revisiting E2E Testing With Tape (on a new project)

    tl;dr I extend my UI component unit/integration testing methodology to do E2E tests. Look at the code, I basically add lots of nice context-setter-upper functions (that’s the official term) that makes it work and make it relatively clean. As hinted-to at the end (PS) of my previous post, recently after attempting (and succeeding, mostly) to set up full E2E testing in the backend of a haskell app I’m writing, I decided to switch to writing the tests in JS land (instead of Haskell land) due to some lack of library support for PhantomJS/Selenium.

  • End To End Testing With Hspec (Almost)

    tl;dr While the setup works, the most mature haskell library for dealing with webdrivers that I could find wasn’t able to keep up with the changes in Selenium Webdriver :(. Skim through the post to check out the relevant code snippets and tech that made it all (almost) work. If you’re not familiar with Haskell, check it out. This isn’t an introductory type post so it might not be for you, but the language is amazing.

  • Adding A Merge Patch Content Type To Servant

    *tl;dr See the code at the end Very often when developing a web application I run into the age-old problem of how to do partial updates. Doing the “U” (Update) in CRUD is actually a little more complicated than just accepting PUTs at some endpoint if you dont’ want to replace the object as a whole. I’ve often worked around this while maintaining somewhere-near spec complicance by just using the catch-all that is POST, and taking whatever object represented the update and doing whatever needed to be done.

  • Installing Python On CoreOS with Ansible (to enable Ansible)

    tl;dr - Undestand & use the short Ansible playbook at the bottom of this post UPDATE end_play is broken in the latest version of Ansible 2.3, more details at the end of the blog post I have a bunch of posts that are backlogged (raw versions written but not pulled together & edited in anyway), but I’m going to skip the queue to get this post I think is highly useful out.

  • Quick And Dirty Forward-Only DB Migrations

    While working on the The Start (a now defunct project)’s jobs backend, I found myself at the age-old problem of how to migrate my database (which is surprisingly SQLite). I looked at tools like flyway, migrate, but they all kind of seemed like more than I needed. If anything I was leaning towards migrate, but flyway is a very well-known and often used solution that it was also pretty appealing.

  • An easy fix for the diversity "problem" in tech: A 4-step plan starting with fully anonymized interviews

    tldr; Re-training people to remove their biases is hard/impossible. Just don’t give people a chance to use their biases and you can sidestep the problem completely. NOTE I use quotes around the word “problem” because the primary problem with diversity in tech is almost certainly different depending on who you ask. This is going to be a relatively short non-technical post, but hopefully a meaningful one, as I’ve been throwing these ideas around in my head for a while but finally want to write them on paper, and get some feedback.

  • Research Idea: Maintaining A Write Ahead Log For Application Runtime State

    tl;dr:What if there was a write-ahead-logging layer above/outside the database? Then you could get CQRS+ES capabilities and assurnaces from your database without rewriting, and even abstract out the database as a whole, going as far as to create your own DSL for application-level changes, ADD_USER instead of INSERT ... INTO USERS ...* I spend a bunch of time thinking about how I can waste less time writing applications. Over time I’ve worked on various protoypes, with varying levels of completeness, but as I move across languages, frameworks, databases, and stacks, I always find myself solving the same problems, and having the same worries.

  • Case Study: Building A URL Bouncer

    tl;dr - Building a simple URL bouncer with Servant isn’t that hard, and the usual warm fuzzies you get from well-typed functions, interfaces, and code still apply If you’re not familiar with Haskell or Servant, the former is a programming language that focuses on pure functional concepts and the latter is one of the most interesting/popular frameworks for it that specializes in exposing your API as a type itself. A brief taste of both of these things is below:

  • Trying And Failing To Expand Servant Cookie-Based Auth With Roles

    tl/dr; I tried to expand the cookie-based auth I implemented in servant and failed. While I’ll probably try again some other day, for now I just resorted to writing functions to get the functions for a user and do checking directly in my handlers Here’s the tale of how I tried to add Role checking (based on my application’s defined Role type) to my servant app, and ran into a few issues and things I didn’t understand and ultimately failed.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next Page >