Splash screen for Firegraph Instagram API login for Firegraph Random picture Firegraph Sidebar navigation inside Firegraph After months of on and off development, I’m finally releasing version 0.1.0 of Firegraph. Firegraph is a FirefoxOS read-only (due to some API key restrictions) packaged webapp for accessing Instagram. While staggeringly incomplete, it does offer basic feed viewing functionality for users that download it, and that I’m proud of!
WebAssembly, and the rise of transpilation
Recently (a few weeks ago?) WebAssembly was annouced. I glossed over the announcement the first time I saw it, but after a few weeks and some time to digest (along with being distracted by other things, like starting a new job, and being funemployed), this story has landed on my doorstep again. This time through, however, The words are jumping off the page and it finally makes great sense to me.
Cache busting with SystemJS/Aurelia
Today I wasted a whole bunch of hours struggling with caching at the front-end and backend of an application that I am developing — so I figured I would put what I ran into here to help other lost souls. What I’m developing is an Aurelia based app, with a Flask backend. After getting my Flask application set up to serve static files (which was surprisingly hard to discovery, mostly because flask prefers to have static files served from somewhere else, like NGINX), I was failing to see instant changes to my app.
Bringing a “native” Instagram client to FirefoxOS
One of the latest projects I’ve been working on is making a Instagram client for FirefoxOS, written with EmberJS. It’s called Firegraph (not the greatest name, I know, but not being able to use the words “insta” and “gram” made it pretty hard to come up with a name that at least hinted at what the app is supposed to do…). Why would you make an Instagram client for FirefoxOS, when there’s already a web application, you ask?
VCFPorter v1.2 Release!
Version 1.2 is officially out! After a bad review by user regis on Firefox marketplace, I set off to attempt and find and fix the issues that was causing VCFPorter to crash. Since the issue happened when importing VCFs from ownCloud (a use-case I definitely didn’t see coming), I looked into OwnCloud’s VCF files and what their basic included fields looked like. They were more involved than I was expecting, and so some of the field generated errors in the parsing code from v1.
A pattern for organizing *DD tests in golang
tl;dr – If you have a single package with lots of files, but want separate ginkgo suites, create packages for your tests and you can write your Ginkgo suites in those packages instead, and get beautiful isolation and nice orderly test-run output. UPDATE – Looks like putting suites in their own packages has a negative effect — it messes up coverage numbers, and makes running ginkgo (with -r and –cover) fail due to Go not finding buildable Go source files.
Small fix to the R2D2B2G extension
I recently ran into a problem with (I thought) mozRepl, which turned out to be a problem with a completely unrelated extension, r2d2b2g that was on my system. So, for some reason, mozRepl wasn’t working and I couldn’t telnet into it (`telnet localhost 4242` should be all it takes). I was wondering why that could possibly be, stopping it, restarting, restarting firefox, trying again. After I couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong, I figured it might be Firefox that was going wrong, so I started firefox from a shell, and watched the output.
Go’s default testing package is not enough
The next project in the pipeline is CasGo, an SSO server implementing the CAS protocol developed at Yale. I decided to do this project in Go, as I didn’t have any large projects in Go yet, and have been reading a lot of literature and watching lots of videos about it. It seems to be fast becoming the perfect bridge between scripting and more traditional languages, perfect for use in lots of devops environments, and high performance/flexibility low-verbosity areas.
Announcing VCFPorter v1.1
After much (close to zero) fanfare, VCFPorter 1.1 has been released! Check it out on the VCFPorter marketplace page Here are the changes in v1.1: Small bugfixes in this release Already-parsed file was not properly redirecting to select contacts view Fix small typo in code for handling categories Fix slack space on left and right in vcf file and contact lists Fixed issue #18 (select/deselect not updating lists in UI) Personal notes: After a pleasant experience developing the app and publishing it to the FirefoxOS marketplace, I received a review (and am super grateful to have anyone even use the app, much less leave a review with some pointers on what to fix) from a user that noticed the (very noticable) bug affecting select/deselect all buttons.